Studies demonstrate that there is no known safe level of exposure to mercury. In fact, it is the most toxic non-radioactive element on earth. Yet, despite mercury’s toxicity, amalgam fillings are common in the United States. These amalgam fillings pose many dangers and health risks and should be removed from your mouth as soon as possible.
As important as it is to have the mercury and metals removed from your mouth, it is equally (or more) important to use proper removal protocols. Removing amalgam fillings can release mercury vapor into the air that can be absorbed into the body by inhaling or ingesting the vapors.
At Integrative Dental Solutions, we protect our patients from additional mercury exposure by adhering to the guidelines set by the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Technology (IAOMT):
- Keep the fillings cool by using cold water spray with copious amounts of water.
- Use a high volume evacuator tip near the tooth to safely evacuate mercury vapor.
- Provide an alternative air source and instruct patients not to breath through their mouth during treatment.
- Wash and vacuum away mercury alloy particles as soon as they are generated.
- Immediately change the patients’ protective wear and clean their face.
- Consider appropriate nutritional support and detoxification before, during and after amalgam removal.
- Install room air purifiers or ionizers and fans for everyone’s well being.
In addition to IAOMT amalgam removal protocols, we employ a high power vacuum system that vents all mercury vapors directly to the outside of the building. We also have all patients rinse with Bentonite, a chelating agent that binds any loose mercury particles.
All patients receive a copy of Health-Centered Dentistry — the Missing Link to Optimal Health, an excellent resource containing information on all facets of holistic dentistry.